Lagos Living

 This blog post is listening to suffer suffer by lady Donli


Hello terrans it's your fave lazy blogger here again, it's been a minute guys! ( this post was due to be published a month and yesterday ago💀).


I'd like to use this opportunity to thank all my fans for reaching out and constantly checking in! (My main character syndrome is flaunting)



 I'm writing this blog with mixed emotions that I don't even know where  to begin with but I owe y'all this update. 

When I started this year, I doubt I was conscious of my goals. Along the line, I had to deal with life altering events that left me stuck. I recall speaking to a close friend about this situation and he said "Change the goal post"

 It'd have been irresponsible and silly of me to make this frightening move mid year! , for an entire week, I had no idea what I wanted anymore.



  I pondered on how long I was going to dwell and heal for the losses this year had already brought but sulking wasn't helping. I had to summon courage and move forward. 


 Thus far, I've managed to endure fine because this time I became more deliberate & realistic with my goals and so the things that were made to shake me failed to succeed.


Let me share my apartment hunting experience with y'all. I started my hunt in early March and got a place by late July. A lot of people told me to keep a strong mind and be very patient. In all honesty, nothing prepared me for the chaos that was to come.

 

The disrespectful remarks i got from landlords and land ladies were so much that writing about it now, i'm enraged all over again. the amount of ‘’í won't accept a female student’’ ‘’aren't you too young to be living alone’’ ‘’i hope you won't turn our house to a motel’', the ridiculous propositions and rules they came up with!.

Even on certain occasions, my agent would guise that I was engaged/married and my partner was out of the country, just so we'd be taken seriously in the hunting ‘contest’.

You guessed right, the market was hella competitive and apartments went to the highest bidder, you'll be there negotiating with the owners and in the blink of an eye, they'd inform you that another person paid thrice times the amount to secure the apartment. 



Then there are the fraudulent agents! The numerous times I'd have paid for inspections and none of the agents showed up, to agents manipulating prices of the apartment to get a higher cut of the payment, find it amusing that vendors are willing to jeopardize their relationships with clients for greed. 


Don't even get me started with the housing structure of apartments in lagos. Absolute crap and evident that ‘’architects’’ in lagos are complete airheads (no offense to the ones trying to fix this ).


Moving in was another one on its own.

Special shout-out to Abisola and my other half of course, for holding me up through that phase after having to deal with chopping breakfast (there's more to come babes). At some point I've had to deal with the hostility of people around here but nevertheless, I've met kind hearted people that I'm thankful for! 



 Let me also state that the cost of living in this country is bonkers. The prices of basic items keep skyrocketing. If there's another piece of advice I should've heeded to from vendors, it would be to get whatever I wanted while it's going up for an almost reasonable price. 

I was on a bus last week when I spotted a young lady buying a whole bunch of plantain! My hunch tells me she's a ritualist because there's no way.

    

 I take God beg whoever dey do this country make dem dey calm down because wetin dey actually occur? .


 I have so many questions for the government, I wonder if they find the youths as a play thing and they jerk off on our pain. I'm pretty sure this country is irredeemable as it is, the new dispensation await who seeks it.

               This meme is now a big mood


 Are you mentally aware? 

  

In the previous month, I've had to deal with my body constantly shutting down and disorienting my whole system, having to put a smile on my face and act like everything's under control even when my body was kicking my ass. 



With all sincerity, this took a huge toll on my mental health and everybody that knows me well enough  knows I'd rather block off & let go of whoever or whatever pushes me hard on a wall.


With all this, I've found it hard to hold my thoughts, my new found coping mechanism you may ask? Has to be me constantly reflecting on who I am inwardly, to be honest looking at yourself holistically when life's kicking your ass isn't easy!. 


A Lot of people in Nigeria are still taken aback by the thought of seeking professional help. It might be difficult at first, but you'll get a hang of it I've come to realize that the chaos can be consuming and we tend to forget who we are. I'm learning to note down whatever's on my mind, even my gibberish and take each day at my own pace . 

 


   I'm relieved to have been able to write this, as well as confront and acknowledge my emotions. I'm learning that  it's okay not to know what's next, it's okay to be vulnerable and weak, it's okay to cry for no good reason and it's okay to confront your emotions. I hope today you stop being too hard on yourself because flawed as you are, you are not sin❤️.


Special shout out to my mummy for always being there, love you so much and always will.


















13 comments :

  1. Naynay! We've missed you on here����

    ReplyDelete
  2. This adulting thing we're all just winging it! Glad you're doing okay ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lagos and wahala... You're very right though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shey this adulthood we cannot exchange it with something because.... I can't deal again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omo mehnn. Pls go easy on yourself and take a break when you can't deal anymore

      Delete
  5. Wahala for who be adult oooooooo I dey tire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tbh my tired sef don tire! Man's mustn't relent🥺

      Delete
  6. Girl! Thank you for this currently dealing with a terrible anxiety and I'm going to try to be alot kinder to myself!��

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn! Pls choose kindness always. You come first! rooting for you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job, u always write amazing stuffs. Weldone!!

    ReplyDelete

My Instagram

Distributed By OLAITAN | Organized By Olaitan